Friday, June 27, 2008

How the Other Half Lives

Since my company sold earlier this month and my new job doesn't kick into action until next week, I've had quite a bit of free time on my hands these past few weeks. I've spent a big chunk of that time with three of my closest friends, all of whom are moms. Instead of putting together marketing strategies, conducting conference calls, and running staff meetings, I've been jumping on the trampoline, going swimming, and watching Signing Time. Although I've always admired my friends who are moms, I've gained a whole new appreciation for how much work it is. It's also been been surprisingly fun.

Like everything in life, there are pros and cons to every situation or circumstance. Developing a career and mothering young children are no exception. A few pros to working full time include: adult social interaction and stimulation, new challenges and opportunities to further develop skills, dressing up in cute clothes every day, and feeling a sense of accomplishment and praise for a job well done. A few pros to motherhood that I've observed: being able to go swimming every day in the summer, a relaxed pace that enables living in the moment, and seeing the world through the eyes of a child. Both have their place and both bring me satisfaction and fulfillment. Because I don't yet have kids of my own, it's been really fun for me to experience firsthand some of the benefits associated with "the other half."

Amanda, Allie, and Brit . . . thanks for letting me "shadow" you lately. It's been so much fun for me to hang out with you and your kids. You are all amazing moms and I am thoroughly impressed with the great job you're doing. Starting Monday, it's back to the world of full time work for me. I am looking forward to getting back into my groove, but I will miss the swimming, trampolines, treats, stories, and other pros that come along with spending the majority of my days with kids.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Love you!

Amanda said...

"Swimming at the pool every day..." Are you NUTS? You came with me to the pool a week ago and tell me what about that was more fun than "cute clothes and social interaction with peers"! It's been fun having you around, too. However, if you leave one more block of Tillamook cheese and box of unopened Wheat Thins in my kitchen, I'm going to stop extending you the courtesy of keeping them hidden and just gorge on them the minute you leave.